Sunday, 10 March 2013

Upcoming test impression

The second midterm of the course will be next week Friday. Although I didn't pay too much attention in class for the past few weeks, I don't think I am in such a terrible position as to not do well on the test. You see, the professor posts up the annotated version of the lecture notes, and also the course provides the students with a "course note" so students can study off of them and do well on the test without even attending the lectures, theoretically. Of course it helps if you attend the lectures and pay strong attention to the contents of the lectures, but for someone like me who processes information slowly, it is better to digest the information by reading the notes slowly after class.

Even though I haven't started studying for the test, I am already confident about it, because the proof assignment did a great job familiarizing me with proof structures and proof logic. There were six proofs that I had to do and they required me to use a wide variety of proof methods. For example, I had to know how to do direct proof of universally-quantifi ed implication, indirect proof of universally-quantifi ed implication, direct proof of universally-quantifi ed predicate, proof by contradiction, and direct proof structure of the existential (this is actually five of the six methods listed in the course note). So whatever questions the professor throws at me on the test, it is highly likely that each of them will require me to use one of the methods that I am familiar with. The other great thing about the assignment was that it encouraged me to attend the help center where I learned new things about proof writing. The TAs there were great at guiding students like me towards writing a logical proof, but they were also great at pinpointing mistakes that I made in my assignment, which gave me a chance to realize some of my previous misconceptions I had about proof writing.

Although the test is soon, I don't think I will have time to study this until maybe the upcoming Wednesday. But honestly, that is probably enough time for something that I am already confident at. I just got to read up on lecture notes, and ask the professor any questions that I may come up during the course of my reading. The final step will just be doing some proof exercises. Then I will be all set.

No comments:

Post a Comment