I will be honest here, I had completely underestimated the difficulty of doing proofs in this course. I got less than perfect on the latest tutorial quiz that I got back. The quiz was about proof, and I still got less than perfect even though all I had to do was put down the structure of the proof without actually completing it. It was just due to a simple mistake but it was still pretty difficult to accept the reality of the situation. And on the same day, I also couldn't do the proof on another quiz. This time it wasn't the structure, but I had difficulty coming up with the logic behind the proof. Thinking back on it now, it was actually really simple, but the pressure of when I was doing the quiz in combination with my lack of proof practice stopped me from thinking flexibly.
The proof assignment that we obtained is doing relatively well compared to my quizzes. The questions on the assignment are straightforward at first, but they gradually get harder. I might not have mentioned this yet, but I did poorly on the first assignment by my standard and expectation. I am expecting this assignment to be better, however, because not only do you get less questions to do, but also because each question requires lots of effort to be put in unlike the questions from assignment 1. The more effort you put in answering a question, the more understanding you have of it, and the easier it is for you to spot any mistakes.
Right now I am stuck on trying to show that the greatest common factor of m and n, where m is bigger or equal to n, is also the greatest common factor of n and m-n. I have tried a few methods so far and none of them seems to get me what I want, or maybe simply I didn't think far enough with the methods I came up with. Regardless, thinking about the problem is challenging my mind and I enjoy doing that especially since it is a school assignment.
No comments:
Post a Comment